What is “High Five Friday”? It’s a weekly posting I do to remind myself of all the good things that have happened to me during the week, no matter how small they are. Bad things happen in this world. That’s one thing we unfortunately cannot get away from. But these posts keep me focused on all I have to be thankful for in my life, instead of all the chaos and tragedy going on. Reminding myself of the joy and happiness in my life really does have a positive impact on my outlook on life. So I challenge you to try it. Take five minutes and write down five positive things that have happened to you this week. They don’t have to be huge, life-changing events; as you can see from my list below, nothing out of the ordinary really happened to me this week. But once I focus on that small, ordinary event, it becomes extraordinary. I know it’s cliché, but the power of positive thinking is truly amazing!
Or High Five Saturday! 🙂 I spent the last week in Orlando, FL for work, and since my flight didn’t land until 8:00 pm last night, my High Five Friday post slipped my mind. Oops! Wouldn’t be the first time…but I hope this doesn’t become a habit.
Anyway, this week was absolutely wonderful. Even if I spent it miles and miles away from my home, I was smiling 99.9% of the time. So, let’s get to it:
1. First, and definitely without a doubt most importantly, my dad got WONDERFUL news from the doctor. When he called to tell me, I was literally jumping around in my hotel room. I was sad I couldn’t be there to hug him, but I’ll make up for it when I see him this afternoon. Miracles do happen, folks, even if they are small ones!
2. I was in Orlando for work. Each year, my company sends all newly promoted managers to a week-long conference in Florida. I may not always love my job, but man, I certainly felt appreciated this week. Besides the lovely hotel we stayed in and all of the fun activities they had planned for us, they actually rented out part of Universal Studios one evening. Imagine one of the most fun places on earth with no lines and free food. Yeah, it was ridiculously amazing. I had so much fun with my co-workers, including one who moved to Houston a few years ago. It was so great to be able to hang out with her again! In addition, we saw some absolutely magnificent speakers – these people inspire me to continue working on my public speaking. Great, great week.
3. While in Orlando, I met up with a friend from high school who moved down there 7 years ago. Susie and I weren’t close until after we graduated from high school, but we lost touch after she moved. After nearly 5 hours of good wine and even better conversation, I’m hoping we don’t let that happen again!
4. I got a new laptop! Yay!! I’ve been playing around with all the cool features, including Photoshop. Our old laptop was actually Ryan’s – he got in when he went to college in 2001. Yes, you’re doing the math right: we were working with an 11-year old laptop. It was time to say goodbye.
5. I went for a run. For some of you, this might already be a daily habit, but for me, it isn’t anymore. I have really wanted to get back into it for a while, so I took advantage of the 75 degree weather in Orlando and went running. I only went 1.6 miles, but it’s better than the 0.0 miles I’ve been averaging. Baby steps.
Hope everyone had a wonderful week! It’s December 8 and still not snowing, so this week is starting out GREAT!