Hi, everyone! I hope your Memorial Day weekend was full of family, friends, and food. We had a few thunderstorms on Sunday, but overall, the weather was GREAT in Akron. I had Friday and Monday off of work, which made for a lovely, wonderful four-day weekend. Ryan’s family came into town because….he was promoted at work!! He’s now officially a lieutenant at the Lorain Fire Department. We couldn’t be prouder of him – and I couldn’t be more nervous about having to learn to spell lieutenant now (thank heavens for auto correct!).
I’ve been slowly incorporating what I like to call “farmhouse prep” into our house. I love the simple, rustic details of a “farmhouse” style, but my hearts also flutters for the clean stripes and hints of gold found in a “preppy” style. It’s an evolving style, and I’m having so much fun with it. Continue reading
Last week, Ryan and I took our longest solo trip without the little guys. We headed way down south to Fort Worth and Dallas, Texas. I had a work meeting in Forth Worth, and since we have friends from college in the Dallas area, Ryan decided to join me.
Quick fun fact: Ryan was born in Texas and spent the first 7 years of his life in El Paso.
Before this trip, I had never been to Texas, so I was super pumped to visit the state home to one of my favorite shows ever.
Source Continue reading
Hello, hello! Summer FLEW by – and now we are entering fall, my hands-down favorite season. The cooler temperatures make me want a hot cup of coffee more than I normally do – and trust me, I want coffee just about any time of day, any time of year. Coffee is my comfort; it’s what I drink when I want to wake up, as well as when I want to relax. It’s what I share with family and friends while catching up about the up’s and down’s of life. It’s a part of who I am, and if you think that sounds silly, do a quick search of the internet for coffee memes. Looks like many other people agree with me! Continue reading
To a mother, there is nothing more important than the health and safety of her children. What they eat, where they play, what their little eyes see…it’s a constant worry and factor in the decisions we make. I love learning new ways to improve my children’s lives, which is what I’d like to share with you today!
I recently joined Seventh Generation’s “Generation Good” online community, which provides a forum for like-minded people to share tips and information on raising our little ones in a clean and safe environment. This is a HUGE priority for me, Continue reading
It sure it cold for April here in Northeast Ohio, so our meals this week are warm and comforting. And tasty of course 🙂
Breakfasts: blueberry waffles (store-bought); oatmeal; toast with salmon cream cheese and capers (my latest obsession – it’s so unbelievably good!); fruit; yogurt
Snacks: strawberries, carrots and green peppers, granola bars
Lunches: leftovers (one of the perks of having only 2 1/2 people who can eat solid food in the house is lots of leftovers! I hardly ever have to plan lunches.) Continue reading
Well…it’s been exactly 10 months since I last posted on here. I’m sad and disappointed with myself that I let such a long time go by, so readers (if there are any of you still out there), here’s a quick catch-up of the last 10 months:
- About a week after I posted my last entry, we found out we were adding another baby to our family! Our second son (L) was born the Saturday after Thanksgiving. L is healthy and a welcome addition to our clan. J loves being a big brother…most of the time. 🙂
- J has been delighting us left and right during his second year. I always heard how jam-packed a baby’s first year is with milestones, but WOW – the second year doesn’t disappoint either. Walking, running, talking, dancing, problem-solving, singing…every day is so fun! Of course, it’s far from sunshine and rainbows all the time (hellloooooo, temper tantrums!), but just watching him grow and learn has brought so much joy and wonder to our lives. J turns two this month.
- My handsome firefighter husband started a part-time job on top of his full-time gig, which has made scheduling sort of crazy around here, but he loves it…and I love that he is so happy with his chosen line of work. Speaking of work, this fall I was promoted. Along with a fancy new title came a fancy new office. I tell ya, a door is a GAME CHANGER for long conference calls. Speaker phone has become by best friend.
- I signed up for my first 5K since having L. Actually, it’s my first race in over a year, so it’s going to be slow going. A friend of mine from high school signed up with me, which gives me motivation to get out there and train!
That’s just a small sampling of what happened since I last posted. Of course, there are tons of other newsworthy events that occurred (My sister had twin boys! My best friend got married!), but this would be a very loooong post if I went into all that. So for now, I’ll just say this: I’m so happy to be back. Writing for this blog has been so fun for me, but also therapeutic. By nature, I’m very number-driven and task-oriented, however, I do have a creative side that doesn’t get to shine very often. So, since I’m on maternity leave for at least two more months, I thought this would be the perfect time to get my creative mojo on. This is a work in progress, but I’m thinking of setting weekly goals that will challenge me in various ways:
- My culinary side – Raise your hand if you have about 2 million recipes saved on Pinterest that you haven’t tried. Both of my hands are up, which is shame because I have pinned some delicious looking recipes. Therefore, every week, I want to put my Pinterest boards (here and here) to work and try a new recipe. Up this week – a Mississippi Roast. (Am I the only one who has to sing that little song in order to spell Mississippi? Every.time.)Source
- My craft / DIY side – My mother and sister amaze me at how crafty they are. I wish I possessed the creativity gene they share, and I’m in a constant state of awe at their ability to sit down to work on a project instead of, say, starting another Netflix marathon (which is especially impressive now I’ve told them about Making a Murderer. Guys, seriously – YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT). My home is devoid of so many DIY wonders, and it makes me sad. So again – my Pinterest board is finally going to get some love and attention. This week I plan on attempting a wreath. I haven’t decided if it will be Valentine’s Day wreath or a spring one…but either way, I’ll be sure to post pictures, no matter how awful it turns out. I’m also including organizational projects in this category, since they are technically DIY. And a lot of times just as pretty as craft projects.
- My literary side – I just love reading so much. That’s really all I have to say about that. My goal on Goodreads is to read 36 books this year. I’m on my sixth book, A God in Ruins. It’s the sequel to Life After Life (which I loved). I figure if I get a good start on my goal while on maternity leave, I can reach 36 by the end of 2016. Any good recommendations?
Thanks for sticking with me…if anyone did. And if my audience has dwindled to zero, that’s ok. I started this blog four years ago (!!!) for fun, and that hasn’t changed. Here’s to a productive and creative 2016!
Today we are officially under the two week mark until Thanksgiving! Are you hosting this year? If so, do you have your table planned? I’m not hosting, so there will be no tablescaping for me, which is probably for the better because that is a lot of hard work! Instead, I decided to look through all the gorgeous fruits of everyone else’s labor and put together my favorites in this post. That counts as work, right? 🙂
Favorite blue, gold and cream
Favorite use of wheat:
Favorite all white tablescape:
Favorite preppy table:
Favorite use of a lantern:
Favorite purple tablescape:
Favorite farm table + lights!
And finally – favorite kids table: