Happy National Hamburger Day! When it comes to burgers, I am a super fan. So it’s good luck that I live in Akron, home of the National Hamburger Festival and Swensons, the restaurant with the best burgers in Ohio (I would argue it’s actually The Rail, but Swesons is a local legend, so I’ll let it go).
In honor of the day celebrating one of my favorite foods, here are 10 ways I love to “fancy up” my hamburger.
1. Classic. No need to add anything crazy. Just lettuce, tomato and onion will do.
2. Italian. I got this idea from my mom. Add some basil and oregano to the burger patty. Top with fresh sliced mozzarella, a few baby spinach leaves and some marinara sauce. Bravo!
3. BBQ. There isn’t much that I enjoy more than the combination of sharp cheddar cheese and sweet BBQ sauce. Add crispy fried onions as well and you’ve got yourself a little piece of burger heaven.
4. Mexican. Top the burger with sliced avocado, salsa and queso cheese. If you like crunch, you can also add some tortilla chips to the burger. This is my husband’s favorite thing to do!
5. Breakfast-y. Add an egg, a few pieces of bacon and some avocado slices to your burger. For me, the runnier the egg yolk the better.
on the side. Way back when, on a family visit to Pittsburgh, I tried a sandwich with the fries in the sandwich, instead of on the side. There was cool, creamy coleslaw on top as well. Oh man, it was divine. Take a hint from Primanti Bros. Restaurant and pile the fries and coleslaw on a burger. Just don’t become a Steelers fan in the process.
7. Buffalo. Mix some Frank’s Red Hot sauce with blue cheese dressing and put a generous amount on the burger. Add lettuce and crumbled blue cheese and enjoy!
8. Spicy. I was OBSESSED with jalapeno when I was pregnant. Like, I had to have them on everything. I really enjoy them on burgers chopped up and mixed with cream cheese. Spread a generous amount on the bun, add some bacon and prepare to swoon.
9. Mediterranean. What could possibly be as good as a burger topped with hummus, sprouts, feta cheese and sliced cucumbers? Well, if your taste is like mine, not much.
10. Chili cheese. Add a scoop (or two) of chili to your burger and top with shredded cheddar cheese. With some diced red onions on top, it’s perfect!
How do you like your hamburger?
Hope everyone has a great National Hamburger Day!