I recently read a blog post by a kindred dog-loving spirit about the 50 things every dog should do. I loved reading about all the things his dog had done, so I thought it would be fun to share the items Sarge has checked off of his bucket list – and our plans to help him cross off a few more!
[Warning – this is a long post about my dog. If you aren’t a fan of cuteness and slobber, don’t read on.]
1. Flop down in front of a morning fire. Haven’t done this one, but we have all the necessary tools (i.e., a fireplace and a lazy dog).
2. Go for a swim in the sea. A pool? Yes. A lake? Yes. The sea? No…maybe someday.
Go mad in the snow. Does he ever! Sarge loves the snow and takes every opportunity to play in it.
Dig up a flower bed. Sarge has been caught “mud handed” doing this many, many times.
Do the “Beethoven” shake and soak everyone around you. Sarge is skilled at this. Luckily, he has short hair, or we would have it much, much worse.
Have your own spot on the sofa. Oh, please. Every spot on every sofa (and chair, and bed) in our house is “Sarge’s”.
Accompany your owner on a run / bike ride. Sarge joins Ryan on runs very often. Sometimes they even let me join.
Attend a family picnic. We do this every chance we get. The jury is out on whether he will be invited back to some places…
9. Help your owner bad a date. I’m pretty sure “bad a date” is a typo and supposed to be “bed a date”. In that case, Sarge hasn’t been given this opportunity, as both of his owners are taken, however, I’m pretty sure Sarge would be a major “block” of any sort of date bedding (see # 14).
Cheer up your owner when they are down. Sarge accomplished this the first day he joined our family and continues to do so anytime his services are needed. It is literally impossible to be sad around Sargie. I guarantee it.
11. Visit a different continent. This has not happened, it’s very doubtful it ever would. Sarge doesn’t travel well in the car and hasn’t been out of the great state of Ohio, so I don’t see a trip to another continent in his future. A dog can dream, though!
Roll around in a really stinky, muddy puddle. Check. Unfortunately.
Ruin a pair of slippers or shoes. I said it’s impossible to be sad around Sarge, but it is very possible to be mad around him, especially when you discover (yet another) pair of your favorite shoes chewed up. We’re still waiting on Sarge to grow out of this “phase”.
Sleep in your owner’s bed. Every night. Ryan and I have slept on the very edge of the bed many, many times, all in the name of making sure Sarge has enough room. We’re bad, I know…
Wake your owner with a big, wet, sloppy kiss. If a 100 lb. dog walking on you doesn’t wake you up first, the kisses will.
Chase a cat during a dream. We like to joke that he’s chasing squirrels, but I’m sure a cat has made its way into Sarge’s dreams a time or two.
Learn the word for “sit” in another language. Does sign language count? If so, done!
18. Join in on a football game in the park. American football or soccer? Either way – I’m sure this will happen. Until he pops the ball, which he’s done countless times.
19. Meet a famous dog.
Try your paws at dancing. Hard to believe, but Sarge does dance! He knows all the moves to the “Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah” part of LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It”. He has such a wiggly butt 🙂
21. Convince your owner you can howl English words.
Get filthy within 30 minutes of a bath. Grrrr. Yes.
23. Howl along with your favorite song. Sarge never howls when I sing to him. Surprisingly, he does smile and wag his tail…
Ride in an open top car. If the sunroof to Ryan’s car counts, check! As you can see below, the wind does hilarious things to Sarge’s lips.
25. Learn to skateboard. I don’t ever, ever foresee this happening.
Have a personalized Christmas stocking. Thanks to my mom!
Show the postman who’s boss. They had a stand-off last year. Since the postman asked me to come get the mail, I think Sarge won. 🙂
28. Be a ring bearer at a wedding. Anyone need a ring bearer?!
Try to follow a squirrel up a tree. Triple check x 1,000. And Sarge has never succeeded in catching one…that is, until this Thanksgiving, when he actually caught a squirrel. It was probably the greatest thing that ever happened to Sarge, and probably one of the most traumatic things that ever happened to me.
30. Go to work with your owner. Sarge is certainly not welcome at my office, and since he hates fire truck sirens, I don’t see him going with Ryan. Oh, well.
31. Have your own social media page. Well, I had never thought of that… 🙂
32. Bound through a forest.
33. Have a personalized kennel. Who needs a kennel when you have a whole house?
34. Go on a boat and get your sea legs.
Play frisbee on the beach. Sarge loves the Bow Wow Beach in Stow!
Receive your own birthday card. Guilty.
Steal someone’s lunch when they’re not looking. Lunch, dinner, Thanksgiving turkey – Sarge doesn’t discriminate.
Watch an entire episode of ‘The Washing Machine’. Not sure what this is…but he does watch TV with us, so I’ll count it.
Eat doggy ice cream. His favorite is vanilla topped with pulled pork (thanks, Zack’s!)
Create a diversion and steal another dog’s dinner. My parents’ poor dog…
41. Rug a doggy marathon. There is no way I’d ever let Sarge run 26.2 miles, even if he could (which is laughable), but there is a mile-run for dogs every year as part of a fundraiser for Akron’s Children’s Hospital. 2013 is Sarge’s year, I can feel it!
42. Receive a doggy birthday cake. We’ve haven’t done this…yet…
Rip the stuffing out of a pillow or cushion. Sigh…yes.
Unwrap birthday presents. Sarge helped me unwrap Christmas presents last year!
45. Watch Lassie on TV. We’ll need to turn on some Nick at Night to catch that.
Be in a family portrait. Duh.
47. Have a stand-off with your own reflection. Not yet..
48. Have a favorite local pub. I wasn’t aware this was possible, but according to Bringfido.com, there are almost 20 dog-friendly restaurants in the greater Cleveland / Akron / Canton area. We’ll have to check some out!
49. Star in a YouTube video.
50. Sleep in a boutique dog hotel. I’m excited to try this!
If I counted right, of the 50 bucket list items, Sarge has done 28! He’s off to a great start in his young life – can’t wait to see what else he checks off his list.