What is “High Five Friday”? It’s a weekly posting I do to remind myself of all the good things that have happened to me during the week, no matter how small they are. Bad things happen in this world. That’s one thing we unfortunately cannot get away from. But these posts keep me focused on all I have to be thankful for in my life, instead of all the chaos and tragedy going on. Reminding myself of the joy and happiness in my life really does have a positive impact on my outlook on life. So I challenge you to try it. Take five minutes and write down five positive things that have happened to you this week. They don’t have to be huge, life-changing events; as you can see from my list below, nothing out of the ordinary really happened to me this week. But once I focus on that small, ordinary event, it becomes extraordinary. I know it’s cliché, but the power of positive thinking is truly amazing!
1. The Akron marathon relay was a success! Our team finished in about 4 hours (just over 9 minute miles), and while I think the guys on our team were hoping for a better time, we all ran hard and finished with smiles on our faces! My sister, brother-in-law, Ryan and I all stayed for the “post-marathon party” at Canal Park and then rewarded ourselves for a great run by getting burgers at The Rail.
We all decided: this will be an annual event for us!
2. After a nice, long nap on Saturday afternoon, Ryan and I went to the Zac Brown Band’s concert at Blossom. Oh.my.goodness. What an amazing show. AND I got to hang out with one of my best friends from high school, Christina.
After the concert, Ryan and I went to the Valley for pizza and just enjoyed the beautiful weather. It was such a perfect day…I’m still smiling about it. : )
3. I finally took the plunge and bought a big-girl camera: the Nikon D5100 16.2MP digital SLR with 18-55mm zoom lens. I have no idea what any of that means…but I did my research and saved for it, so I’m so excited to learn how to use it. It’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow, which means I have about four days to learn how to use it before my trip to NYC.
4. Speaking of NYC, I spent plenty of time this week daydreaming about being there next week. I’m going with two girlfriends, and I couldn’t be more excited! I’m sure I’ll have plenty more on that next week.
5. The leaves on the trees have been changing colors, the weather has been nice and cool…that can only mean one thing: fall is officially here!