What is “High Five Friday”? It’s a weekly posting I do to remind myself of all the good things that have happened to me during the week, no matter how small they are. Bad things happen in this world. That’s one thing we unfortunately cannot get away from. But these posts keep me focused on all I have to be thankful for in my life, instead of all the chaos and tragedy going on. Reminding myself of the joy and happiness in my life really does have a positive impact on my outlook on life. So I challenge you to try it. Take five minutes and write down five positive things that have happened to you this week. They don’t have to be huge, life-changing events; as you can see from my list below, nothing out of the ordinary really happened to me this week. But once I focus on that small, ordinary event, it becomes extraordinary. I know it’s cliché, but the power of positive thinking is truly amazing!
I began this week thinking it would never end – which is not a good sign. However, after some “angels” in my life got me through the rough first days, the rest of the week flew by. Hello, weekend!
1. I got my first Foodie Penpal package! I’m so excited to write about all the great stuff I got. Look for all the yummy details here on August 31!
2. Yesterday was a loooong day. I worked late, and by the time I was leaving the office, all motivation to do anything was gone. That run I wanted to take: no thanks. The healthy dinner I wanted to cook: eh, pass. I was so surprised to come home to some take-out sushi and home-made margaritas (a bit of an Asian-Mexican fusion). Do I have a cool husband, or what?
3. I may not love my job, and some days it’s almost unbearable, but I am so lucky to have a handful of co-workers I count as friends and confidants. They make me laugh when I want to cry, and I know they know EXACTLY how I feel, because they are going through it too. (Side note – one of said work friends started a blog recently. She is an awesome writer, and her posts are geared to all the happenings in Akron. My kind of blog! Check it out: http://amytakesakron.blogspot.com/)
4. We have some out-of-town visitors coming to stay with us this weekend: three of my husband’s best friends are coming into town for their fantasy football draft (I know, I know). I can’t wait!
5. My dad and I went to breakfast Monday morning. There is no better way to start off a week than enjoying some time with family. We had such a good time, I’m thinking we should make this a regular thing.
Have a great weekend, everyone!